Help people around the world to preserve their memories by building practical, creative software as part of a small, focussed team.
About the company
Yearbook Machine is a technology company specialising in making collaborative online software for creating printed memory books. Founded in 2008, we are an industry leader, selling books to thousands of groups across the UK and in over 30 countries worldwide. Based in a leafy part of Islington, London, we have a relaxed, straightforward company culture, with a focus on meaningful, high-quality work.
Having grown sustainably without any external investment, our current team is just 5 people. But, backed by our own profitability, we’re now entering a new growth phase, hiring for 4 new positions to take our company to the next stage of its evolution.
In the long term, our goal is to build the world’s leading platform for creating memory books. Our vision centres around making book creation progressively easier and more flexible, so that more people around the world can make lasting keepsakes of their most treasured memories.
About the product
Our product is a web app that allows groups of people to collaborate to produce printed books. As well as being a creative tool, the system manages all of the organisation required for yearbook projects, and contains social features that make the process fun and collaborative. Once the design is complete, customers place orders and we print and distribute the physical product.
It’s an interesting product to work on, as it brings together practical, creative and technical challenges to produce a system with an eventual output in physical space. It’s also very satisfying to work on a product that has such a tangible, emotional impact. We help people to curate memories of important stages in their lives, and frequently get glowing, personal feedback from our customers.
About the role
We are planning significant updates to our software that will expand the demand for our product, by making it more flexible, easier to use, and easier to understand. We are looking for talented, creative software engineers to join our team and help build this next generation of our product.
This role is full stack, involving both frontend and backend engineering. You will work closely with our design team to deliver new functionality from conception to completion, taking responsibility for entire components and features.
This is an ideal position for those who want to see the impact of their efforts, as it involves working directly on our core product already in use by customers around the globe.
The ideal candidate has the following attributes:
- Effective You get things done. You deliver code that works. You stay focused and make progress methodologically.
- High standards You take pride in your work and make sure that it is always done to a high standard. You take responsibility for the software you build and ensure that it is functional and maintainable.
- Forward-thinking You think around a problem, always looking for what would be needed to improve things even more. You are an engaged, active participant.
- Communicative You're an excellent communicator, able to talk and write about technical topics with clarity and style. You're happy to share what you know and ask questions when you're unsure.
- A desire to learn: You've got a great understanding of tech, but you're still always up for trying out something new or refining what you know.
Our stack is based on ReactJS (frontend) and Symfony/PHP (backend), with an aim to integrate Typescript soon. While experience with these exact technologies isn't mandatory, you should have an excellent understanding of the full stack of web development.
How to apply
Email your CV and cover letter to [email protected]
- Salary: £40-100k, depending on experience
- Flexible location: either in our office in Islington N1, remote, or hybrid
- 25 days of annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Private medical insurance including benefits such as half-price gym membership
- Top-of-the-range equipment provided
- Personal growth fund: a budget up to £1000 each year for learning and personal development
Why this role?
- Small, collaborative team environment, with minimal bureaucracy, technical management and a focus on delivering quality work
- Opportunities for learning and improvement: hone your skills by building useful technology with a tangible output
- Interesting, meaningful product with happy customers around the world
- The rare combination of a stable, independently profitable company that is also entering an exciting new growth phase.